Effective date: 13 May 2019
1. Your privacy is important to us
Oportun, Inc., is committed to protecting the privacy and security of your personal information. The information you share with Oportun allows us to provide you with the best experience of our products and services. We have a dedicated consumer privacy notice that protects all the personal information you submit to us in order to obtain a financial product or service and help ensure that personal information is handled properly. Please continue reading to learn how we collect, use, and disclose personal information.
2. When we collect data
We collect the personal information you provide us along with data from other sources when you apply for our products, respond to our surveys, request information about our products or services, or otherwise voluntarily provide us. Examples include name, address, email address, phone number, date of birth, Social Security number, or other identifying information such as fingerprints, photographs, or other biometrics.
We also collect, through automated means, certain types of information from the computers and mobile devices that visit our website or stores. Examples include device identifiers, IP addresses, internet service providers, location information, date, time, and referring source of the visit, type of browser, computer, or mobile device used to access our website and pages viewed, and items clicked.
3. The types of data we collect
Personal information is any information that we can use to identify, locate, or contact you. It also includes information that may be associated with your personal information, such as your financial history. We may collect the following types of personal information about you:
- Contact information that allows us to communicate with you, such as your name, username, mailing address, telephone number, email address, or other addresses that allow us to send you messages.
- Relationship information that helps us conduct business with you, such as personal references or referrals, information about your shopping and payment preferences, and information that can help us offer you personalized content and offers. We may also obtain information from third-party data suppliers that helps us enhance our records.
- Transaction data about your payments, balances, and other activities with Oportun’s financial products or services or from other financial institutions and service providers you connect to your account, such as the location, time and date, and amount of your transaction.
- Information about your interactions with Oportun when you:
- Use our products, services, websites, or apps (including information collected on this site using cookies and other data collection technologies described below)
- Communicate with us (including recording of calls to our customer service center for quality and training purposes)
- Participate and fulfill promotions or other programs (including loyalty and refer-a-friend programs)
- Opt in or out of marketing communications, offers, or other activities
4. What data is collected on this site
In addition to information you choose to share with us when using the website, Oportun and our third-party service providers may use a variety of technologies that automatically (or passively) store or collect certain information whenever you visit the site; this is called “usage information.” Usage information may be stored or accessed using technology that may be downloaded to your computer, browser, laptop, tablet, mobile phone, or other device whenever you visit or interact with our site. We treat this information as personal information when it is associated with other data that allows us to identify, locate, or contact you. Usage information may include:
- Your IP address, device advertising IDs (such as Apple and Google’s advertising identifiers), or other unique identifiers (called a “device identifier”); a device identifier is a number that is automatically assigned to the device you use to access our site and can be used by our systems to identify you
- Your device functionality, including browser, operating system, hardware, or mobile network information
- The areas within our site that you visit and your activities there, the frequency and duration of your visit, and your preferences
- Your device location
- Your device characteristics
- Other device data, including time of day and address of the website from which you entered our site, among other information
5. How we use your data
We may use your personal information to:
- Comply with our legal and regulatory obligations
- Detect, investigate, and prevent activity that may be illegal, violate our policies, cause harm to our operations, or compromise our security
- Verify the identity or location of an individual for security, fraud prevention, or other risk control purpose
- Optimize, improve, and enhance our products, services, and operations
- Provide you with, or evaluate your eligibility for, products and services that you have requested from us
- Communicate with you about your accounts or transactions with us
- Provide important information regarding our products or services, including changes to our policies or other terms, conditions, or agreements
- Allow participation in surveys, sweepstakes, contests, and other promotions
- Consistent with legal and regulatory requirements, required disclosures, choices, and controls, we may:
- Send reminders, offers, and promotions for our products and services or for other products and services from our partners that may be of interest
- Personalize online or mobile content (including email) and user experiences
- Provide advertising based on your interactions with us
- Measure the effectiveness of our marketing efforts
Please note that we may also use and disclose information about you that is not personally identifiable data. For example, we may publish reports and provide products that contain non-personally identifiable statistical data, such as reports showing general application trends. These reports do not contain any personal information.
We may use various methods and technologies to store or collect usage information such as cookies and web beacons; these are collectively known as “tracking technologies.” There may be other tracking technologies now or devised in the future that we use when you engage with our websites, stores, call centers, or advertising. We may use tracking technologies for a variety of purposes, including:
- Strictly necessary. We may use tracking technologies that we consider strictly necessary to allow you to use and access our site, including cookies required to prevent fraudulent activity or improve security.
- Performance related. We may use tracking technologies to assess the performance of the site or marketing programs as part of our analytic practices to improve the activities, content, products, and services offered through the site or to detect and remedy performance issues.
- Functionality related. We may use tracking technologies to offer you enhanced functionality when accessing the site, including identifying when you use our site or keeping track of your specified preferences, including the presentation of content on our site.
- Advertising related. We may use tracking technologies to deliver content relevant to your interests on the site in our marketing and on third-party services, based on how you interact with Oportun. This includes using tracking technologies to understand how useful the content is to you.
7. Additional information about online tracking
Third parties that have content embedded on our site may set cookies on your browser and/or obtain information about the fact that a web browser visited our site from a particular IP address.
For more information about third-party advertising, please visit the Network Advertising Initiative (NAI) at https://www.networkadvertising.org. To opt out of being targeted by many third-party advertising companies, visit https://www.networkadvertising.org/consumer/opt_out.asp.
8. Your privacy choices
Oportun offers different choices about how you want to receive communications with us and how we use your information.
- Your participation in promotions and marketing programs is voluntary, and you can limit the information you provide
- You can limit the communications that Oportun sends you:
- To opt out of marketing emails, simply click the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of our marketing emails
- To revoke permission to receive text messages, text “stop” in response to any of our messages
Please note that even if you opt out of marketing, we may still need to contact you with important transactional information about your account. For example, even if you opt out of emails, we may still send you payment reminders and confirmations.
We respect the rights you have under any applicable privacy laws. If you have any questions about your choices, or if you need any assistance with opting out, please contact us.
9. How to confirm that the information Oportun collects is accurate
Keeping your account information current is very important to us. If you have questions or issues, please let us know. We will promptly investigate your concerns and update our records as needed.
PO Box 4085
Menlo Park, CA 94026
Please keep your information as current as possible so that you get the best experience from us. In particular, make sure you inform us of email address changes, since this is the quickest way for us to communicate with you.
10. How the information on this site is collected
We use reasonable physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards that are designed to protect and limit access to personal information. These measures include computer safeguards and secured files and buildings. We authorize our employees to access your information only when they need it to perform their job responsibilities, and we require companies that partner with us to protect your information.
Information that we collect from you may be stored in the United States or other countries and is protected in accordance with our information security standards. In some cases, we may use this information to help protect the security of your personal and account information.
Please note that information you send to us electronically may not be secure when it is transmitted to us. We recommend that you do not use unsecure channels to communicate sensitive or confidential information to us (such as your Social Security number).
11. How we protect you when linking to other sites
At our discretion, we may include links to third-party websites, banner ads, or advertisements to help you locate information, products, and services that may be of interest to you. If you use those linked websites or advertisements, you may leave our site and go to websites that we do not control. These third-party sites have separate and independent privacy policies and we have no responsibility or liability for their content and activities. Nonetheless, we seek to protect the integrity of our site and welcome any feedback about these sites.
12. What we disclose to outside parties
We do not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to outside third parties your personally identifiable information, except as described in this policy. We may also share your personally identifiable information with trusted third parties who assist us in operating our site, conducting our business, or servicing you, as long as those parties agree to keep this information confidential and secure. We may also release your information (a) when we believe release is appropriate to comply with, or to allow our investors or potential investors to comply with any law, regulation, legal process, or government request; (b) for the purposes of limiting fraud; or (c) to enforce our site policies, protect our or others’ rights, property, or safety.
We may provide non-personally identifiable visitor information to third-party advertising platforms for marketing, advertising, or other described uses. While we do not share any of your personal information with these platforms, we may convert your email address or telephone number into unique strings that platforms can match to their users to allow delivery and measurement of our advertising. Although we do not provide any personal information to these platforms, they may gain insights about who responded to the ads we display on their platforms.
13. We do not collect information about children
We do not knowingly collect, maintain, or use personal information from our site about children under the age of 13. We request that persons under the age of 18 not use our site without supervision from a responsible adult. If a child whom we know to be under the age of 13 sends personal information to us online, we will only use that information to respond directly to that child, notify parents, or seek parental consent.
© 2019 Oportun, Inc. All rights reserved.