Log In Log In Log In Apply now

Need help filing your taxes?

Back to financial educationMoney

Photo of a woman in front of laptop reviewing her tax documents

It’s time to file your federal income taxes—the deadline is April 15, 2019. You must file a return even if you don’t owe any tax.

Tax preparation can be stressful, but there are lots of resources available to help you. Here are some options.

FREE: Get help from IRS-certified volunteers

Did you make $55,000 or less in 2018? Do you have a disability or speak limited English? You might qualify for help filing your taxes under the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program.

If you are 60 or older, you can also get free help through Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE). IRS-certified volunteers at this program specialize in answering questions about pension and retirement issues.

Call 1 (800) 906-9887 or use this locator tool to find a VITA or TCE location near you.

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is the government agency in charge of collecting federal taxes. Each state also has its own organization to collect local taxes. You may have to file both federal and state tax returns.

FREE: Use free online software

If you made less than $66,000 in 2018, you can file your federal taxes for free using software from the Free File Program. Most of these programs will walk you through the process step by step as you fill out the form.

There are also free programs for help with state taxes. Look them up here.

Free fillable forms

Did you make more than $66,000 in 2018? Do you also have a copy of your 2017 tax return? If so, you can still file for free online, but will get only minimal guidance.

PAID: Use a paid software program

Many software companies can help you file your taxes online with easy-to-use, guided programs for a fee.

The best-known tax softwares are  “Turbo Tax”, “H&R Block” (software system) or “Tax Act”, just to name a few of them.

PAID: Hire a professional

You can also hire someone to do your taxes. The price will vary depending on the complexity of your financial situation.

H&R Block, Jackson Hewitt, and Liberty Tax are some of the bigger tax preparation services. You can use this tool to find an IRS-authorized e-file provider near you.

It’s always a smart idea to get help with complicated jobs like tax preparation.


The information in this site, including any third-party content and opinions, is for educational purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal, tax, or financial advice or to indicate the availability or suitability of any Oportun product or service to your unique circumstances. Contact your independent financial advisor for advice on your personal situation.

Personal loans through Oportun subject to credit approval. Terms may vary by applicant and state and are subject to change. If you refinance, you may pay interest over a longer period of time or at a higher rate and the overall cost of your loan may be higher. Loans in CA, ID, MO, NM and WI are originated by Oportun, Inc. California loans made pursuant to a California Financing Law license. NV loans originated by Oportun, LLC. In AL, AK, AR, AZ, DE, FL, GA, HI, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MI, MN, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NH, NJ, OH, OK, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WA and WY loans are originated by Pathward®, N.A.. Terms, conditions, and state restrictions apply.

Ready to build a better future? Apply now.

Personal loans

You might also like

Paying off debt: the snowball method How does cosigning work? What is secured debt? Lending scams: Four things to look out for What do you need to get a personal loan? What is a personal loan and how do personal loans work? How to budget money on a low income What is investing? Tips and tricks for paying off credit card debt

Ready to build a better future? Apply now.

Personal loans Credit cards

We use cookies to bring you the best experience on our site. We never sell your information to third parties. When you use our site, you agree to our cookies policy. Find out more.